Monthly Contact Website – The Who, What, Where, Why, When and How
What is it, Who can use it, and Why was it created
The new mobile-friendly Monthly Contact website allows AFS liaisons and other registered, trained volunteers to easily view and enter required contacts and visits. The website is designed to be used on mobile devices but can also be easily accessed from a computer.
Contact and visit reports can still be viewed and entered in Global Link, and the two websites speak to one another so that a report entered via one website is displayed in both places. The Monthly Contact website is simply an additional tool to help ensure that volunteers are able to easily and conveniently capture the times they have connected with their students and host families throughout the program.
Where can I find it
The Monthly Contact website is:
Volunteers and staff can log into this website using the same username and password that they use for Global Link.
How do I use it
Find the correct student:
You can locate the record of a student in a few ways:
- If you are a liaison entering a contact for a student that is assigned to you in Global Link, the student will appear under the ‘My Assigned’ tab at the top of the screen.
- If you are a liaison coordinator or other volunteer entering a contact for a student for which you are not assigned as a liaison, the student will appear under the ‘All Participants’ tab at the top of the screen, which displays all students in your Team. (Note: Only 25 students listed alphabetically initially appear. If the student you are entering a contact for is not within the first 25 listed students, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the ‘More’ button.)
- You can locate the student you are looking for by typing part or all of the student’s name into the Search Bar at the top of the screen and clicking on the button with the magnifying glass at the end of the Search Bar.
Some helpful information is provided next to each student’s photo:
- Service Ref: Global Link’s Service Reference number
- Program Code: Length, type, and year of the student’s program
- Tel: Host family's telephone number
- E-mail: Student’s email address
- Duration: Student’s program start and end dates
- Main Org: Team or Chapter where the student is hosted
- Host Family: Name of the current host family
Click anywhere within the student's row to be brought to his/her 'Participant Detail' page:
Choose the type of contact or visit that you completed, scroll to the bottom of that type, and click on the ‘New’ button:
You will be brought to a page containing the same questions as the contact or visit form in Global Link:
Click on the 'Select' button and choose a rating. Next, complete the comment box. Then click the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the page:
When are the contact and visit deadlines?
The Monthly Contact Website has a color coding system that is designed to help keep track of when each contact or visit is due.
Within a student’s individual record, you will see an arrow in one of three colors next to each type of contact or visit requirement:
- Green: indicates requirement has been satisfied
- Yellow: indicates requirement has a task with an upcoming deadline that has not yet been done or not yet recorded
- Red: indicates requirement has a task with a deadline that has passed that was not done or not yet recorded
When viewing the list of students, you will also see an arrow in one of three colors next to each student. If a student’s overall color is:
- Green: all of the contact and visit requirements have currently been fulfilled (school contacts not factored in)
- Yellow: one or more of the contact and visit requirements has a task with an upcoming deadline that has not yet been done or not yet recorded
- Red: one or more of the contact and visit requirements has a task with a deadline that has passed that was not done or not yet recorded
The Monthly Contact website also specifies which contacts and visits are missing. If the arrow next to a requirement is either red or yellow, what is missing will be displayed below the submitted reports for that requirement.
Additionally, for the In-Home Visit (30 or 60 days), the Host Family In-Person, and the School Contact, the Monthly Contact website specifies the date range within which the contact must be made.